Newpin is a centre-based, early intervention program directed at strengthening family functioning and supporting stressed families, with particular focus on the mother-child relationship. The program provides parent education, development and support as well as play therapy and instruction.
Specific programs include:
- Our Skills as Parents – a 10 week program in which participants explore their feelings and share their knowledge around parenthood. The aim is to improve parenting skills by building self-esteem, confidence and a deeper understanding of children’s needs.
- Weekly Support Group – where members explore issues from their own lives that are impacting on their parenting.
- Keeping Children Safe – a six week program offering practical strategies designed to keep children safe and free from abuse and neglect.
- The Family Play Program – an eight week program aimed at increasing the understanding of the importance of creative play in a child’s development and assisting the parent-child attachment process.
- SEER Program – explores the five core Newpin values of support, equality, empathy, and respect which guide every aspect of the intervention and govern the behaviours in relation to a member’s personal life, the Newpin centre and society as a whole.
- Learning for Life – the Newpin foundation course prepares established members to befriend others.
- Regular Self Evaluation and Child Appraisal – where members are invited to identify and reflect on their own and child’s progress with staff members.